Wednesday 7 September 2011

Shigeo Fukuda

Shigeo Fukuda's 'Boat Sculpture'

What I like about this particular piece by Shigeo Fukuda is the combination of images, the casted shadow and the object or rather sculpture which casts this. This is arguably the pieces' most obvious and communicable attraction, and even though I fully appreciate this, I do not speak of cleverness in technique and skill.

But for me the two images, as separate entities, have different essences, suggest different times, qualities and ambiences. I don't think that the image of a ship alone would have much of a lasting impression upon me, even one that has been presented (or cast in this case,) in an unusual way. It is the striking form of the beautifully complex structure which casts the shadow which i personally find most remarkable. The dramatic lighting obviously plays a large part in making the structure so vivid and arresting, yet I think it could work as a piece of art independantly. The shadow, in my opinion, acts as an extension of this.

The fact that the primary purpose of the structure is as a function makes it more exciting for me. It becomes part of a process, it is held in this process which is continual, as the shadow is the finished piece. Despite the potential for the 3D part of the structure to be beautiful as an independant piece of art, it cannot be without the shadow, the image if the boat. One cannot be without the other. The shadow could not exist without being cast by the object, the object was created intentionally to cast the shadow, both are thus engaged in an on-going process, fully dependant on one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment